1. Setting up the Gift Card module
- From the Store Settings screen, select Gift Cards on the left-hand menu to be taken to the Gift Card page.
- Click the Enable Gift Card button to turn on the feature.
- Customize settings such as the expiry date for the gift cards and whether they can be redeemed at other store locations.
- Choose whether to charge tax on gift cards by enabling the Charge Tax on Gift Cards option.
- Click Save Changes to complete the setup process.
2. Adding Gift Cards
- Open the POS and go to the Gift Cards tab.
- Click on Add Gift Card to bring up a pop-up window where you can enter the gift card details manually or scan an existing gift card.
- Set the value of the gift card and the date it's been added into the system (which will populate automatically) or click on Generate to assign a set of random numbers to your gift cards.
- Alternatively, you can also add gift cards from the Manage Gift Cards section under Inventory.
3. Selling Gift Cards
- Select a customer or create a new one to whom the gift card is being sold.
- Note: It is mandatory to select a customer when selling a gift card.
- Add the gift card to the cart.
- Proceed to the payment screen and collect payment through any payment method.
- The gift card status will change to Active and a regular invoice will be created for the gift card.
4. Redeeming Gift Cards
- Add items to the cart as usual and click on Checkout.
- On the payment screen, select Gift Card as a payment method.
- Enter the gift card number in the reference field or scan the gift card directly on the checkout screen.
- Click the green checkmark button to verify the gift card and add the amount to include in the payment.
- Confirm the payment to mark the gift card as Partially Redeemed or Redeemed, depending on the payment status.
5. Gift Card Inquiry and Reloading
- From the POS screen, click on the Action button, then select Gift Card Inquiry.
- Enter the gift card number manually or scan it with a barcode reader, then click on Search Card Number.
- The system will display the card's details in a pop-up window.
- If the gift card has a zero balance, you'll see an Add Funds to Gift Card button. Click on it to recharge the card with a desired amount.
6. Gift Card Roles and Permissions
7. Gift Cards Report
Q. How can I print a gift card?
A. You can print a gift card by going to Manage Gift Cards, looking up the gift card you'd like to print and clicking the Action button, and selecting Print.
Q. Which printer can I use to print gift cards?
A. Gift cards can be printed through receipt printers only, and you can print gift cards through any receipt printer. Also, the gift card print template is editable, and you can edit it from the Template Editor in your Store Settings.
Q. Can I import/export data for gift cards?
A. You can export the existing records and import gift card data in an Excel sheet to your RepairDesk account.
Q. Is it possible to generate serials against gift cards?
A. Yes. Serials can be generated for gift cards from the Add Gift Cards pop-up window. By clicking on the Generate button, a random number will be created for the gift card which can be used as the gift card number.
Q. Can my customers redeem gift cards that are expired?
A. No. It is not possible to redeem the gift cards that are expired.
Q. Can my customers track their gift card history through the Customer Portal?
A. No. Currently, it is not possible for your customers to track their gift card redemption history through the Customer Portal. However, we are planning to add this feature in the near future.
Q. Can I sell gift cards from the "Manage Invoices" section?
A. No. Currently, it is not possible to sell gift cards from the Manage Invoices section. However, we will make this possible for our users in the near future.
Q. Can I give line item discounts on gift cards?
A. No. Line item discounts will not work for gift cards.
Q. Can I redeem gift cards for any customer, regardless of whether they bought the gift card?
A. Yes. Gift cards can be issued to one customer and redeemed by another customer without any trouble.
Q. Is it possible to refund a gift card once it's been issued?
A. A gift card issued to a customer can only be refunded if the card hasn't been redeemed. Payments processed using a gift card can only be refunded through cash. The refunded gift card will automatically be added back to your Inventory and marked as Inactive. However, if you don’t want to add the gift card back to the Inventory, please uncheck the Add gift card back to inventory box when issuing the refund.
To learn more about the refund process, please read our Knowledge Base article here.
Q. Do customers receive any automated email or SMS for a gift card?
A. Yes. Customers can receive an automated email and SMS when a gift card has been issued, redeemed or refunded.
Q. Will customers earn any loyalty points on purchasing gift cards?
A. That depends on the trigger that we have added in loyalty settings as shown below. By default the trigger will be OFF and loyalty will not be issued
Q. Can store credits be issued when a gift card is refunded?
A. Yes. You can issue store credits to customers when refunding the payment for a gift card.
Q. Does the Gift Card module work on the iPad POS Register app?
A. Yes you can sell, redeem and refund gift cards using iPad POS Register. To learn how to do this, please read the knowledge base article.
Q. Can I generate multiple gift cards with the same value?
A. From the Add Gift Cards pop-up on POS and customers, details view section, you can generate multiple gift cards with the same value as shown below
By clicking on generate multiple cards, you will get the following pop-up where you can enter the number of cards to generate and their cummulative value.
By clicking on generate, the relevant gift cards will be generated
You can also scan the gift card to change the gift card serial number.