We have improved the refund process in RepairDesk. When refunding an item, a pop will appear from where you will be allowed to select the items you wish to refund.
To see the functionality in action, please watch the link to video below
1. On POS click on View Invoices and find the invoice you would like to refund.
2. Select the invoice you wish to refund. You can refund a fully or partial paid invoice.
3. A pop up will appear where you will be allowed to refund the selected items.
The Refund Details button will allow you to change the amount or quantity.
3. After clicking on the proceed button, the selected items will be displayed in the cart.
4. If a customer purchased different items you can remove or change quantity. This should also restock the inventory item if relevant items are setup for quantity tracking or start an RMA manually in case of faulty item.
5. Clicking on the refund link, it will take you to a new pop up where you can increase or decrease the quantity and amount of the refund. Quantity can be changed and its amount will automatically be changed accordingly. From this pop up, you can partially refund the line item.
Sometimes the owner charges some amount when customers ask for a refund. Here is the option for changing the amount to be refunded.
If the amount is changed then it will decrease the retail amount accordingly so the margins are not disturbed.If the total amount is changed to 2000 then its retail price changes accordingly.
6. Click on the Checkout button to complete the refund transaction.
7. You will also be able to take customer signatures at the time of Checkout.Please note that RepairDesk doesn't have a specific exchange module, but you can use the refund feature for this.
Refund against Partial Paid Invoices
1. When making a partial payment against an invoice with multiple items in it, the payment will be distributed among the items and the distributed price will be shown on the pop up when refunding. The following formula will be used to calculate the amount for a single item.
Formula for a single item: (Amount paid / Total amount of invoice) * Original amount of item
With the help of this formula, the amount will be distributed among the items and shown on the refund pop up.
The price and tax will be distributed with the help of the same formula as mentioned above. Simply multiply the ratio with the price and tax to get the distributed value.
Now you can charge a restocking fee on the returned goods at the time of refund. To set up and charge the restocking fee, simply follow the steps below.
1. Go to the Store Settings and at the bottom of the page, you will see a Refund Settings section.
After answering the question as Yes, a field will appear where you will be allowed to enter the restocking fee. You can set the fee in percentage or currency. This fee will act as a global restocking fee and will be applied on all of the refunded items.
Please note that the restocking fee cannot be applied on the GIft cards and Product Bundles.
After the pop up is opened, the restocking fee question will be marked as Yes. You can change the restocking fee at runtime as well in percentage or currency.
Refund Amount = Total - Restocking Fee
For the Tax inclusive items, the restocking fee will be applied on the Total and the price and tax will update after that.
Refund Amount = Price - Restocking Fee + Tax
Before applying restocking fee:
After applying restocking fee:
As you can see, the restocking fee is applied on the price ($1500) and the tax is added in it to calculate the refund amount. You can also view the restocking fee charged from the customer in the pop up.
4. If an inline discount is given against the line item and the invoice is partially paid, then the discount will be calculated with the same formula and will be shown in the reports i.e. Partial Discount = (Amount paid / Total amount of invoice) * Original Discount
In the above example, the price of the item is $1500. In order to keep that item or refund the other item, your customer will have to first pay an amount greater than $1500. For that you will be taken to the original invoice, where you can add the payment (as mentioned in the alert message).
In the above scenario, you can refund the selected item and your customer will be able to keep the unselected item, because the original amount of unselected item is less than the paid amount.
Please note that you cannot change the amount from the refund pop up, if the restocking fee is applied.
Q. How can I add a faulty part to RMA while issuing a refund?
A. In RepiarDesk if you're issuing a refund for an item, you also get the option to add that faulty part to a RMA.
To do so:
1. Select an Invoice and click on Refund. This will bring the invoice items to POS basket for refund.
2. Click on the Refund link as (shown in the screenshot below) the item which is to be refunded.
3. A pop up screen will open where you can mention whether the part was faulty or not. Select the checkbox No (it is faulty) if the item being refunded is faulty.
Also select the option Add item or part to RMA to create a RMA for this item. You can also mention the reason for return.
Finally click on Save button.
4. Once you have refunded the item(s) or part(s), a pop up screen will appear, informing you that a RMA has been created the part which you have just refunded. Click on View RMA to see more details about this RMA.
Q. How to exchange an item in RepairDesk?
A. There is a simple workaround to exchange any device or item in RepairDesk.
2. Now add a device or item in transaction. System will balance the amount you need to receive extra from customer in order to exchange the device/ item.
For further clarification, please refer to the above screenshot:
Q. Can I Do Partial Refund?
A. Yes you can do partial refund. You can decrease the Refund quantity and amount.
Q. Can I decrease the quantity while doing refund?
A. Yes you can decrease the quantity. e.g previously the invoice was made for 3 items and customer wants to refund 1 item out of 3, now by refund functionality you can refund only one item.
Q. Can I decrease amount of refund item wise?
A. Yes you can also change the amount but this amount cannot exceed the invoice amount for that item.
Q. What is the effect of decrease amount on overall reports?
A. When you decrease the amount while doing refund the retail price is adjusted accordingly and reports are also updated.
Q. Can I refund an invoice that is already partially refunded?
A. Yes you can refund that invoice which is already partially refunded. Invoice will contain the remaining quantity after partial refund.
Q. How can I refund a serials item using Repairdesk POS Register?
A. Yes, you can refund a serialized item using RepairDesk.
Once you open the invoice for refund, if the item is serilized then sold serial will be shown along with item name.
Q. Can I refund a partial paid invoice that has a product bundle in it?
A. No! Currently you cannot refund an invoice that has a bundled item (if it is partially paid). In order to refund that invoice, you will have to pay the invoice first and then you can refund the bundle.
Q. Can I refund the partial paid invoice multiple times? A. No! You can refund the partial paid invoice only once, even if there are multiple items. If you try to refund the partial paid invoice after it has been refunded, you will be shown a message after hovering over the Refund button.
Invoice has been already refunded by Josh on 26 August, 2020 2:07 P.M.
Q. How can I view the transactions in the reports?
A. In the Accrual based report, the data will be shown based on the accrual accounting method. Since the full amount is shown in the report, whether it is a partial or unpaid invoice. Therefore, it is recommended to use the Cash based reports if you want to view the actual cash in and out transactions.
Q. Can I refund a partial paid invoice which has a gift card in it?
A. Yes! You can certainly refund that invoice, but the gift card amount will be returned in full (since partial refund is not possible in case of gift cards). From the paid amount, the remaining amount will be distributed among the selected items which you wish to refund.
Q. How can I view the restocking fee on the refunded invoice?
A. You can view a Restocking Fee label on the refunded invoice. It will show the percentage of the restocking fee charged for each line item.