Recurring payments are automatic payments that enable you to charge a customer on a regular basis. Your customers must initiate the first payment themselves and then they will be charged automatically on their credit cards or according to the set payment method.
Besides getting paid for a one-time
repair service, topping up phones, or selling bundled inventory items,
this feature will allow you to generate subscriptions within RepairDesk.
Please note that if you are not using the enterprise package, then you will have to subscribe and pay for it first to get access to this module. It will cost you around $299/per year.
To learn more about how this module works, please refer to the video below
Benefits of Recurring Billing
With RepairDesk recurring billing module, you can add the following benefits to your business
1. Charge the registered credit card or direct debit of a customer periodically
2. Scheduled invoices will be created automatically and you will not have to go through series of steps to create a recurring invoice.
3. Invoices will be sent to the customer automatically
4. Your customers can pay the invoice online using the Pay Now button in invoice sent via email.
5. Customize billing frequencies, billing dates, auto-calculate proration for upgrades & downgrade.
Setting up the module
To start using the module, head to Store Settings and hit Enable button to activate the module as shown below.
On this screen, you will be able to see several settings such as you can align the module payments with RD Pay Integration
, setup the triggers for retrying attempts to charge the customers against whom payments have failed and make settings for sending emails to customers and admin against the payment status.
Creating Subscriptions And Recurring Invoices
1. From the top menu, under the repairs tab, hit Create Subscription option just below the recurring billing section.
2. You will be redirected to the subscriptions listing page as shown below from where you can create a new subscription.
3. While creating a new subscription, you will have to add the following information
a. Select and add customer against which you want to create the subscription
b. The created date will be set to default date
c. Enter the plan name and terms and conditions
d. Add line items to the subscription just like you do while creating a regular invoice.
e. Set payment schedule against the subscription i.e. whether you want to charge the customer on a monthly or yearly basis, select the date at which the first invoice will be created, and timezone based on which invoice will be sent to the customer.
f. Select payment methods through which your customer will pay for invoices against this subscription plan. We have the following payment methods available for the customer to pay.
- He can either add his card details by hitting Add A Payment Method button or swipe his card on the RD Pay terminal by hitting the Authorize Card button (For the USA only)
- If you are not from the USA and using STRIPE, then you can also set the payment method to stripe instead as discussed in FAQs below.
- An email will be sent to him with a Pay Now button which will allow him to pay his invoice online by the end of the selected duration
- Manual payments through bank transfers, checks, etc.
By hitting the Start Subscription button, your subscription will be started and the first invoice against the subscription will be auto-generated and sent to the customer for payment.
The recurring invoices will be listed under the manage recurring invoices section as shown below.
Please note that you cannot create the recurring invoice manually. Instead, invoices will be generated automatically depending on set duration.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Do I need to subscribe to the enterprise package to use this module?
A. No, this module will be available for all users. However, for enterprise users, it will be for FREE while the rest of the users will have to pay $299 per year to use this feature.
Q. Can I edit/cancel the subscription once started?
A. Yes, you can definitely cancel the subscription anytime by hitting the Cancel Subscription button as shown below.
You can also update the subscription anytime by viewing it in edit mode (just like a sales invoice is viewed)
Q. How prorate charges work?
A. While updating the subscription, you will have an option to set prorate charges against the subscription.
It will give you an estimated amount for the next invoice to be charged and the date at which it will be charged. Normally this option is used when the subscription is upgraded or downgraded by the customer in-between the subscription period.
Let's suppose a customer has a monthly billing cycle and he has a subscription plan of $100. Now he wants to upgrade his plan to $150 in the min of the month. According to the $100 plan, his remaining amount will be ($100/30)= $3.333 multiplied by remaining days (15 days) = $50. According to the $150 plan, 15 days should charge $75. $50 from the last plan will be adjusted with $75 and $25 will be charged to the customer on the next invoice.
Q. Can I convert the regular sales invoice to a recurring invoice?
A. Yes definitely you can do it. After a sales invoice is created, you can hit the Create Subscription option from the pop-up below to generate a subscription plan against the invoice.
The system will redirect you to the create a subscription page where you can start the subscription.
At the same time, you can also convert a regular sales invoice to a recurring invoice from the Action button against the invoice.
Q. What if I don't have RepairDesk Payments terminal, can I pay recurring invoices through Stripe?
A. Yes definitely you can. In case if you are not from USA, or dont have RepairDesk payments terminal, then you can create subscription through Stripe provided that you have set up the stripe integration on your RepairDesk account.
If the strip integration has been set up, you will get the button to add payment method while creating subscription as shown below.
By authenticating the Stripe account, recurring invoices will be paid automatically through Stripe.